Every year, I look forward to the Brannan Family Hume Trip with anticipation, knowing that this weekend signified Fall had officially started! I loved coming up here, staying in a cabin with everyone, bundling up against the cold, playing games to the wee hours of the night. This year, was a bit different because we live up here now. Kinda takes the sparkle out of the place.
We still had fun, don't get me wrong. It was tons of fun with Jeff's family, and getting to sleep in (in our own bed) because we would put the boys down at the cabin, and hang out with everyone for a while longer. Then Jeff and I would go back to our house and leave the boys there. (Thanks Ron and Lynn for taking over at breakfast time so we could sleep in!) We'd rejoin everyone a bit later for walks, rock throwing, games, and food galore! It was relaxing having so many hands to help out. =)
Yet the magic of this place wasn't there anymore; it was an odd concept to admit. I guess it'd be like living in Disneyland. It'd be awesome, but then it would get routine and you'd start missing things outside of the park.
Let me set the record straight for everyone. Lots of people think that living up here is paradise (I even had a stranger tell me that one afternoon as I was struggling with the idea that this was our new home). And it is, in some respects. But in others, it's not. It's just life. And a life without many of the modern conveniences you are used to. No Starbucks on every corner, no grocery store to pick up that stick of butter you forgot, no Grandparents who can come over in 20 minutes to help out, no pizza to get because you don't want to cook. So, yes, it is incredibly beautiful and the people up here are fantastic and you do get some pretty good perks. But is it paradise? Nope. It's home. It's work. It's play. All wrapped up into one. Luckily, we knew this before we moved up here, but we had never experienced it. So though we walked into this adventure with our eyes wide open, it's still something we have to process through.
Jesus never promised a life without change. He promised that He is Lord of it all...even of change...even of 2 busy boys...even of beautiful lakes. And that's where I find my rest and my peace.
Anyways, here are a few pics we got of the annual Brannan Family Hume Trip!
 |
| I don't know why the boys wouldn't smile! It was kinda chilly....maybe they were cold. I'm going with that. |
 |
| There's the smile! (S) |
 |
| Yes, that's high. And don't worry... no one got hurt. (E) |
 |
| The gang, minus Jen, John, and Jack. We missed you guys! Glad Jack is feeling better. |
 |
| Papa and Gram |
 |
| S and Papa making the same face! |
 |
| These boys LOVE their Papa! |
No comments:
Post a Comment