Friday, May 6, 2011

4 months

Wow.  It's already May.  Time is flying by way faster now than when I was pregnant.  I guess that would be true for most women.  Last year at this time, we were just finding out I was pregnant.  We didn't yet know that I had two in me, though I somehow knew in my heart.  I can't tell you how, but I just knew.

Anyways, here we find ourselves at month #4.  The boys are cuter than ever!  Their little personalities are starting to emerge.  Ethan is a little more feisty and passionate.  Sam is a little more chill.  However, they were the opposite when they were born.  Sam was known as "Drama King" and Ethan was the chill one.  So, only time will tell.

Sam and Ethan (and doggie)

Ethan and Sam

Sam and Ethan doing what they do best... chew.

Sam and Ethan

Oh know!  We've been caught with our hands in our mouths!

Cute Ethan 

Sweet Sam


Some highlights from last month:

-At the beginning of the month, they transitioned from a 2.5 hour schedule to a 3 hour schedule, cutting out one feeding.  They've been doing well!  We just switched it up again at the beginning of this month, but we didn't drop a feeding.  I think they still need 6 feedings right now.  We've also started a bedtime routine that we do every night to help prompt them that bedtime is soon.  We read the Bible to them, pray with them, then put them down.  They have no idea what we're saying, but it's been nice for Jeff and I to connect spiritually on a regular basis, even if it is with wiggly babies in our arms.

-They've again started sleeping through the night, and this time it's been a solid 8-9 hours without a peep.  Before the 3 month growth spurt, they would sleep but whine occasionally.  Now, it's almost eerie.  I still get up just to check on them.

-They smile and giggle a lot!  The other day, I was changing their clothes and both of them starting giggling when I took their onesie off.  It was cute!

Sam

Sam being tickled by Dad

Sam

Ethan being tickled by Dad

Ethan

Ethan

-Their hair is growing back.  The top of it all fell out, and now it's growing back.  And.... it's still red!  I'm thinking it'll be a strawberry blonde.  Their skin is SOOOO white, that it makes me think the red will stick (you know... the usual red headed complexion).

-Ethan LOVES to squeal!  One night, soon after he discovered it, Sam was crying in his crib and Ethan decided to just squeal at the top of his lungs.  He wasn't mad (like Sam was); he just wanted to try out his new trick.  It was hilarious!

-Sam, recently, has discovered that he can make a noise when he sucks air in really hard.  So, as in true baby fashion, he's been doing it a lot.  But don't worry... He doesn't hyperventilate or anything.  He just thinks its fun.  And when he combines it with a grin, it makes our hearts melt!

-They both don't like big, loud crowds.  Mostly when they are being gawked at and/or passed around.  They're fine if they're in our arms or in their stroller/car seat.  But both of them will cry if they just get thrown into a crowd and have too many faces vying for their attention.  I can see how it'd be scary.  They usually calm down after a while.

-Ethan loved to suck in his bottom lip, so he looks like a duck.  Now, he's transitioned to just sticking out his top lip.  It's his, "Don't bother me.  I'm playing," face and it's O So Cute!

Duck Face

-They both love to lift their legs in the air and slam them down.  They do that when they're playing and when we're changing their diapers.  And they do it with such authority that it makes Jeff and I laugh!

-They've discovered that there's a world BEHIND them.  They love to look behind their heads to see what's going on.  It makes for some interesting diaper changes.  =)  It also leads me to their next highlight....

Sam checking out Dad's camera

-They can ALMOST roll over!  Mostly Sam.  They get all the way over, but can't figure out what to do with their arm.  Sam has gotten over a few times where the lower half of his body is completely on his tummy, but his upper half is positioned funny because he's laying on his arm.  Does that make sense?  They both roll over their right shoulder from back to tummy.


See how he's still on his arm?  He can't figure out how to get it out from underneath him.

-Another highlight is that Sam is getting his first tooth!  His bottom left front tooth area has a little white dot.  He hasn't been particularly fussy or anything... such a trooper!  Occasionally he'll cry in his sleep, but he's been fine. He has his hand in his mouth most of the time and drools.  But other than that, there's none of the "bad" symptoms that come with teething.  We're crossing our fingers that it'll stay that way!

-And finally, we had our first family vacation (see previous post)!  It was a blast and the boys did a fabulous job!


4 Month Stats:

Sam
11 lbs 10 oz
24.5 inches

Ethan
10 lbs 15 oz
24 inches

**So before y'all start saying how little they are, let me explain that I was always in the 5th percentile for weight (their length is average).  And Jeff's not, shall we say, heavy.  So, I think these boys are just genetically prone to being skinny (plus, the doc wasn't alarmed).  With that said, we will be starting food this weekend.  I don't want them to stay in the 5th percentile forever.  Let's get some meat on those bones!  =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow :) I love all the small details that you are finding out about them. Have fun with the food this weekend!
Love,
Tina