Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mothers' Day, Mom!

As I sit at the computer and start typing this post, I'm not really sure what's going to come out.  I've been wanting to do a post for my mom for a few days, since her birthday was Thursday, but have been avoiding it.  I think it's because my mom means so much to me that I can't even put it into words...in fact I can't even think about it without tearing up.  How do you put into words your gratefulness for someone who not only gave you LIFE, but help make it a life worth living?  How do you express your thankfulness to someone for being willing to give you their own life?  Words just seem so futile and dull... like they aren't enough.  But, here I go... (written Saturday morning)

I'm so incredibly grateful to have you as my Mother!  Life with you has been a blast.  I love how you actually liked hanging out and playing with Mark and I, running around in the front yard looking at forts.  You've always made us feel special, one-of-a-kind.  My childhood, and I'm sure Mark would agree, was perfect.  I look back on it with fondness and happiness, and some sadness knowing we can never go back.  I felt safe, knowing you are always there and will ALWAYS fight for me.  You dried my tears, let me sleep with you after nightmares, and kissed my scrapes.  


You pointed me towards my Savior.  You were always real with me, and showed me what it meant to be a woman of God by living your life.  You are compassionate and friendly to others, and never judged people, but instead pointed out something good in them.  I want you to know, Mom, I was listening and watching...and learning.  Thank you for showing me that all people have worth in God's eyes and therefore, they have worth in my eyes too.  Thank you for not putting on a show for us, but instead you let your imperfections show, and didn't hide your apologies or raw emotions from us.  You talked about it with us so that we learned that no one is perfect, but we all can overcome with the Lord's help.  We aren't afraid of our emotions or others', but embrace them as a gift that God gave to humanity...as a way of expression.


As I get older, I'm so thankful for your friendship!  You've been my best friend for forever.  I know I can come to you with anything and I won't be judged or humiliated, but that I will get Godly wisdom, even if it's not what I want to hear.  Thank you for being honest with me and calling me out when I need to be.  Thank you for encouraging me in the right direction...when I get so negative or frustrated with situations and people, you help me see the problem from a different angle and put myself in another's shoes.  That's when I'm able to look at the issue in the face, call it for what it is, and start moving to action and healing.


And now with my own children, I can understand a little of how much you gave for Mark and I and how much you love us.  The love of a mother to her child is like something I've never experienced before, and I now have a whole new view of you.  As in all the journeys in my life, you've been right beside me, holding my hand and coaching.  I know I am a better mom because of you and your wisdom.  You not only encourage me to do the right thing with my kids, but you encourage me to do what's best for THEM, even if it's not so good for you.  Not many people do that, and I thank you.  I know you are still looking out for ME and encouraging ME, which in turn helps me be a better wife and mother.  


I can't believe I'm in my 30s.  I remember when YOU were in your 30s!  Life is just speeding by and I'm realizing more and more how precious time is and that family is the most important thing God gave us on this planet.  I wanted to make sure you knew how I felt.  I love you Mom....more than you will know.  Jesus loves you and so do I!


I'll leave you with one of your favorites:


"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." -1Peter 4:8




1 comment:

Alyson Steiner said...

What a beautiful post...I'm sure your mom had tears while she was reading it. Such a sweet letter that I know Dorothy will always treasure!! I echo the Godly woman that I was privileged to look up to also while we grew up! Aren't we the luckiest women to have such amazing moms?! Love you, Jen!!