Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jan. 4-6, 2011

Jan. 4th
The next day we made a decision not to have any visitors; we needed to bond as a family.  That was one of the best decisions we made.  It was a great day of learning how to tandem breastfeed them, and just taking it easy.  We stared at our boys and finally got to know them.  Jeff went home and got a few necessary items, and we just enjoyed our life in a small, private room at St. Agnes.



Jan. 5th
Wednesday, we had more visitors, but not as many as on my birthday.  Plus, we were more confident in ourselves and the decisions we would make as a family.  The boys' doctor and my doctor asked if we wanted to go home that day and we both said, "Can we go home tomorrow?"  Though there are constant interruptions and its not really "home", we felt safe there.  If anything went wrong, there were tons of medical people around to help.  At this point, we were still constantly analyzing the boys: their breathing, the newborn rash, even their poop.  So, staying one more night was just to build our confidence.

Jan. 6th
Today we went home!  We took our time "checking out" and getting boys all ready to go to their real home.  As the time approached to leave, I remember feeling a sudden anxious nostalgia.  (Those post pregnancy hormones are killer.)  As Jeff was taking trips to and from the car, I remember feeling sad for the boys because we were leaving the only home they'd ever known.  As bizarre as it sounds, that room was special for me because it's the room where we became a family.  Jeff and I entered St. Agnes on Sunday as a couple, and left on Thursday as a family of four.  And we were leaving the place where that transformation took place.  So, that day was a little sad, and a little scary, for me.

Sam & Ethan 

Sam 

Ethan 

 

Once we got home, we pulled the boys out of the car and Jeff held their car seats facing away from the house.  As I was gathering up all our stuff, I watched him curiously, wondering what he was going to do with the boys.  Then I heard him say, "Sam and Ethan... are you ready to see your house?  Say it with me now boys:  MOVE THAT BUS!"  Then he turned their car seats around so they were facing the house.  Of course, the boys were thrilled and fell on the ground crying tears of gratitude... well, maybe not.  But it was pretty funny.  =)




Over the next few days, we adjusted to life as a family at home.  Fortunately, Jeff had another two weeks off of work.  So, he was able to spend LOTS of time with us until he went back.  We also had lots of visitors and family members come by.  All in all, we love our new life and wouldn't trade it for the world.  We keep asking ourselves how we were lucky enough to get two sweet boys.  It's only by the grace of God that we are a little family of four now.  We thank Him everyday for the incredible blessings we've been given in Samuel and Ethan.





1 comment:

Alyson Steiner said...

I'm so glad to know you have a blog, Jen!!! I LOVE all the pics and details! I will definitely be checking in regularly for updates and pics of you guys!! Love you lots!!